Under the Vintage Roof
Get ready for the “Under the Vintage Roof” Historic Building Tour of the 7th Annual Grand Avenue Festival, Saturday, November 14, 2015 with three start times: 11 a.m., 11:30 a.m., and Noon, all beginning from Milum Textile Services. And thanks to a grant from the Phoenix Revitalization Corp., the tours are free of charge!
UNDER THE VINTAGE ROOF TOUR
With knowledgeable and friendly guides and building hosts, tour the interiors of five vintage properties near the "entrance" to Lower Grand Avenue in downtown Phoenix:
• Milum Textile Services, 333 N. 7th Ave.
• O.S. Stapley, 723-747 Grand Ave.
• Miller Store Fixture, 734 W. Polk St.
• Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery, 1012 Grand Ave.
• Gallery La Melgosa, 1023 Grand Ave.
In addition, as you walk from one tour site to another, learn more about the Las Palmas Inn at 765 Grand Ave. and Quebedeaux Chevrolet (Paper Heart) at 750 Grand Ave.
At Miller Store Fixture, you'll also be able to visit with friends and neighbors working to make our city a better place by advocating for historic preservation, adaptive reuse, and cultural tourism:
• Arizona Preservation Foundation
• Downtown Phoenix, Inc.
• Downtown Voices Coalition
• Grand Avenue Arts & Preservation
• Grand Avenue Members Association
• Oakland/University Park Community Association
• Phoenix Historic Neighborhoods Coalition
• Phoenix Revitalization Corp.
• Preserve Phoenix
Milum Textile Services (originally Phoenix Laundry & Dry Cleaning)
333 N. Seventh Avenue
Phoenix Laundry & Dry Cleaning (now Milum Textile Services) was originally constructed in 1893, but after a very large, horrific fire was rebuilt in 1935. The architect, Frederick W. Whittlesey, designed the new building for the A.H. Lawrence family and it is an outstanding example of 20th century brick commercial architecture and a unique example of streamline moderne architecture.
The roof is a rare example of a wide span wood lamella roof structure, which is a vaulted roof consisting of a crisscrossing pattern of parallel arches skewed with respect to the sides of the covered space, composed of relatively short members (lamellae) hinged together to form an interlocking network in a diamond pattern. Each short member intersects with another member of the opposite skewed arch as each member works to form one long arch. Lamella roof construction was invented in Europe in 1908 and introduced in the U.S. in 1925. Since that time numerous buildings have been constructed with lamella roofs; however, due to failures, the use of lamella roofs has diminished since the 1970s.
The building and business was purchased by Boyd Milum in 1956 and is currently operated by his son Craig.